Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Meetings

Hello everyone! So I completely forgot to post about this, but better late than never right?
On Tuesday, my group and I expected to meetup to discuss our plot, but instead my teacher came up with this brilliant idea that helped us out way more.

So basically this “meeting” exercise went down like this: one member from each group was placed into a “section,” so that way we were exposed to the different ideas other groups were coming up with. There were four different sections. Whoever was presenting their idea to their section, had to project their progress or any other information they thought would be helpful to the “observers” in order to explain what their project was and how they planned to accomplish this task. The “observers” then had the chance to provide feedback, commentary, ideas, questions, etc. to the presenter in order to help them with their project.

I LOOOOOOOVED THIS ACTIVITY SO MUCH!

It really helped me gain more ideas and insight to our project. After I presented my group’s progress, some of the comments my classmates made really made me think of a better idea of our plot and how I can approach the opening. Not only that, but some of the feedback other members received was helpful to me because I learned different ways to make a scene more interesting, leave it intriguing, or make it worthwhile even.

So you’re probably asking, “uhh that’s great and all, but what were some of the ideas that helped you?”
Good question. Well, after I finished presenting and showed them all my ideas about voice over and the different plans my group came up with to open the project, one girl asked, “That’s really good, but how are you going to make the audience want to keep on watching?” It hadn’t hit me until then that she was right! An opening is supposed to leave the audience wanting more. So with this activity, my section helped me come up with the following:

  • Look at 12 angry men, and Raising Arizona for inspiration
  • Maybe start with the character talking to the lawyer and use vague terms to make the audience think
  • Don’t rely too heavily on voice over
  • Have a strong opening line
  • If you want to criticize the court system, make sure you indicate somehow that it’s going to be about that
  • Interrogation or lawyer is the best way to go
  • Dramas focus a lot on music and editing so that’s important, as well as know your audience

All these tips really helped me to rethink our whole opening. I do agree definitely that editing and music should be a big part of it, and ambiguity is needed to leave the audience wanting more. Tomorrow, I’m meeting up with my members and we’re going to share our experiences and ideas with each other. I hope by tomorrow we have a set plot, and storyboard because I’m so ready to start filming. This activity made me even more excited about our project.

Well I’ll keep you updated and probably post tomorrow.

Until then, keep watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment